My recipe tester’s kids loved these banana chocolate chip pancakes, so I bet yours will to! Her three-year-old said, “These are ‘de-woof-woof-licious’,” and her kindergartener exclaimed, “You’re the best cooker ever!” I’d say these pancakes were definitely a success, and I can’t wait for you to try them.
Why I love this recipe
I love this easy banana chocolate chip pancake recipe because you can whip them up in no time. All you have to do is mix everything and cook! You don’t even need any special equipment – just a bowl, spoon, and nonstick pan. Like I said, easy! Plus, did I mention they’re delicious? What’s not to love about bananas and chocolate chips?
Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes
These healthy banana chocolate chip pancakes are perfect for any time of day. Of course, they make for an excellent breakfast, but my kids also love taking pancakes to school for lunch. I pack them cold with some peanut butter spread on top.
They also always get excited about breakfast for dinner. Serve these fluffy pancakes with fresh fruit and scrambled eggs on the side for a complete meal.
- Use extra ripe bananas for the sweetest, deepest flavor.
- If you don’t have maple syrup, substitute it with agave syrup.
- Swap all-purpose flour with white whole wheat flour for a whole-grain boost.
- You can use any type of milk to make these pancakes. If you don’t have milk, water will work.
- Make sure to use plain yogurt – not Greek yogurt, which would be too thick for the batter.
- You can sub full-size chocolate chips for mini chips if that’s all you have, or you could use blueberries.
How to make this recipe
- Step 1: Mix all the wet ingredients together: bananas, eggs, vanilla, syrup, yogurt, and milk.
- Step 2: Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt with the wet ingredients.
- Step 3: Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Step 4: Melt a little butter in a hot nonstick skillet over medium heat and then add a quarter cup of pancake batter. Once the pancakes start to brown and bubbles form on top, flip the pancakes and cook for a couple of more minutes.
Can I make the pancake batter the night before cooking them?
Yes, you can prep the batter the day before, so it’s ready for you first thing in the morning.
Can I double the pancake recipe?
You can easily double the recipe if you need to feed more people or want leftovers.
How do I store and reheat leftover pancakes?
Store leftover pancakes in an airtight container or bag for two days. To reheat, warm them in the microwave or toaster oven.
Can I freeze pancakes?
Yes, pancakes are very easy to freeze and make for a convenient breakfast to have on hand. Put small pieces of parchment paper between pancakes so they don’t stick together, and place them in a zip-locked bag in the freezer for up to three months.
There’s no need to thaw the pancakes before reheating them. Just microwave until heated through.
- To make dairy-free banana pancakes, use dairy-free yogurt, water, or non-dairy milk, dairy-free chocolate chips, and cooking spray or a non-dairy butter alternative to grease the pan.
- If your child is allergic to eggs, swap them with flax eggs. To substitute one egg, mix one tablespoon of flax seeds with three tablespoons of water and let sit for five to ten minutes.
- To make gluten-free pancakes, substitute all-purpose flour with a gluten-free multipurpose flour, like Cup4Cup.
- For extra nutrition, add a tablespoon of ground flaxseed to the dry ingredients.
- The bananas and chocolate chips sweeten these pancakes, so you probably won’t need syrup with them. If your kids like a dip, serve them with plain or vanilla Greek yogurt on the side.
Other recipes you might like
Banana Chocolate Chip Pancake Recipe
Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Non-stick Pan
- 2 bananas mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup plain yogurt (not greek)
- 3 tbsp milk or water
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- pinch salt
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- Mix all wet ingredients together (mashed bananas through milk/water).
- Once combined add all remaining dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Add ¼ cup batter to preheated non-stick pan with a little butter, flip once they start to brown lightly.
- Serve with your favorite pancake toppings.
- For a nutrition boost, add a tablespoon of ground flaxseed in with the dry ingredients.