Growth charts from the pediatrician may leave you with some questions or concerns, so I talked with pediatrician Dr. Mona Amin from @pedsdoctalk all about toddler weight and what you actually need to know about their percentile.
Disclaimer: this is for educational purposes only, please consult your child’s healthcare provider for any concerns related to their health.
Here is what we will cover:
- What is a growth chart and why does it matter?
- All the things you might hear at your doctors office
- What it means if they are high or low on the chart
- Problems with labeling kids based on their percentiles
- Higher percentile versus being overweight
- Lower percentile versus being underweight
- Should you be weighing your child at home?
- Should I be worried if my child is above 100% or a very low percentile?
Dr. Mona Amin is a practicing Board Certified Pediatrician and mom who you can find at @pedsdoctalk on instagram or at pedsdoctalk.com. She’s a first-generation Indian American with an undergrad degree in Psychobiology from UCLA, and attended medical school at ATSU-SOMA in Arizona.